Hi! I’m Sarah LaPorte and I am a gentle sleep coach, trained and certified by Kim West LCSW-S (The Sleep Lady).
If you are reading this, then you’re most likely exhausted, sleep deprived and ready to teach your baby or child to sleep longer and more consistently. I’ve been there. My daughter would only fall asleep if I was the one to put her to sleep. I spent hours shushing and rocking her to sleep and carefully transferring her to her crib, only for her to reawaken and the cycle would begin again. Frustrated, my husband and I called in a sleep coach. Within a week, she was sleeping through the night and everyone had a more peaceful day. I had no idea that teaching a baby to sleep is a learned skill. Fascinated by the idea of teaching babies to sleep, I started my journey as a Gentle Sleep Coach.
Located in the western suburbs of Chicago, I work with families to create individualized, step-by-step planning to get their baby on the right track for sleep success. Plans are tailored to fit your family dynamic, parenting style and needs.
In addition to my certification as a Gentle Sleep Coach, I received a bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Indiana University-Bloomington and a Master’s of Public Service Management with a concentration in Healthcare Administration from DePaul University.
GSC Program Summary Including
4-5 Month Old Certification
The Gentle Sleep Coach Program is the first and most extensive professional sleep coaching certification program available. The program involves over 80 hours of training, an exam and participation in case supervision with Kim West, LCSW-C (a.k.a. “the Sleep Lady”) who has been helping tired parents for over 17 years. Clinical supervision and ongoing advanced training are required to maintain certification as a Gentle Sleep Coach. Some of my training topics included:
- Basic counseling and child development
- Sleep science and behavioral modification techniques
- Secure attachment theory
- Support for the breastfeeding mother
The training also consisted of lectures from top specialists, including:
- Postpartum Depression from Dr Shoshana Bennett, author and leading specialist on Postpartum Depression
- Medical Conditions and Sleep Apnea in Children led by Dr Lewis Kass, Director of Children’s Sleep Center
- Sensory Processing Disorders and Sleep by Jodi Jennings, OTLR
The GSC Program also includes an exclusive advanced training series directly centered around how to gently work with babies 4 and 5 months of age. This program which I have also completed consists of over 40 hours of instruction and mentorship.
Some of the curriculum training topics include:
- In depth knowledge of the delicate nature of infants under 6 months of age and how to consider all elements of their well-being.
- Current evidence based guidelines and instruction on how to evaluate the 4-6 month old child and family and determine if the child is ready for sleep coaching.
- Gentle sleep solutions and strategies that are effective and developmentally appropriate for the younger baby.
This specialty training is designed to give coaches the knowledge, education and all the tools and resources they need to successfully work with families of babies 4-6 months of age in a safe, healthy and developmentally appropriate manner.